Health Insurance
Yesterday, an email was sent out to all employees of my company saying that they were taking away ALL HMO's and PPO's and people would be enrolled in a HSA (health savings account). While this is good for people like me who only go to the doctor 2-3 times a year max, it is not good for people with pre-existing conditions. I have been really worried about one of my friends who has a severe allergy to all things wheat and dairy. If she eats any of those or something with a by-product of wheat or dairy, she has to go to the hospital to get her stomach pumped or she could die. She could go medically bankrupt because of what the company has decided will benefit the employees. I am saddened or maybe even angry at my company for choosing this route for the "good" of the company. People with pre-existing conditions will no longer be able to afford to work for my company because we already don't make enough money and what benefits or incentives we did have, well they've all been taken away in the last 6 months. I was going to sign up for medical insurance when open enrollment occurred but not anymore, as chosen for me by the company. I guess I'm going to have to get a job at Starbucks working 20 hours a week so that I can have full medical insurance and not have to worry if I need to go to the hospital. 

I do like working for my company which evident in more ways than one. I will be sad to see the good, dedicated employees leave because they are now forced to choose between dying or having horrendous medical bills. 

I do love you but this was a bad decision.
Labels: edit post
1 Response
  1. Jo Brock Says:

    Sad. We have an HSA account. I totally understand how crazy hard that would be for people who, like your friend, have pre-existing conditions. Health insurance can be great, but it can also be completely frustrating at the same time.


  • About Me

    My photo
    My passion is in photographing people. I like to talk to my clients and have fun while shooting. I am a Denver-based photographer specializing in couples and engagements.